10/08/16 Board Meeting Notes

Meeting Minutes, Unofficial

October 8, 2016 | 1:00PM | Salmon Bay Café

Meeting was called to order at 1:03pm by Doug, KD7DK, the Group’s President.

Doug welcomed all attendees and asked for quick Introductions.

Minutes from the August 13, 2016 meeting were read by Aaron, K8AMH. Don, W7UUL, moved to approve, and second by Elaine, KG7CME. Everyone was in favor.

Aaron then reviewed the Treasurer’s Report, noting that budget performance columns are now added. Nothing out of the ordinary in the report to call out; we are trending close to budget although we may need to consider soliciting donations to keep on track.

Under old business, Aaron updated on work to request 501(c)(3) recognition from the IRS – he has filed Form 1023-EZ and we now wait to hear back. The filing fee dropped from $400 to $275 which helps us budget wise.

Aaron also updated on renewing our repeater coordination with Western Washington Amateur Relay Association. Our renewal is complete and WWARA’s database is updated. The webpage still shows we have not renewed but can be ignored. WWARA also eliminated the $5 renewal fee, and while they have not cashed the check we sent, they have not returned it either nor have they mentioned it was voided or destroyed. Aaron will follow up.

Under new business, a Technical Committee update was provided via a written statement to Bill, N6NBN. The Echolink/IRLP Raspberry Pi device is offline given the SD card in use went bad. Unfortunately, the second SD card was also defective and therefore Echolink/IRLP remains offline. Aaron raised a concern that if two SD cards have gone bad in such short time, the Raspberry Pi device likely needs replacement. Doug also mentioned we may want to have a backup device for these cases where the primary one fails.

The Financial Committee did not have an opportunity to meet prior to the Board meeting, but Doug noted that outside of the Treasurer’s Report and the 501(c)(3) application status provided earlier, there is nothing additional to report.

Regarding the PSRG Monday Night Net, Glenn, K7GLE, has covered the 5th Monday of the month when they occur, but we need to have a different operator cover this time. Joan, KG8VO, asked what running the Monday Night Net entails and Aaron provided details. Kevin, N7KV, offered to take this timeslot if no one else volunteers. We will follow up with Kevin to get him set up to run the net.

We also discussed the 9 O’clock Net message given during the weekly PSRG Monday Night Net and concluded that it should be dropped from announcements going forward with Doug proposing, Don seconding, and all in favor.

During PSRG events, such as the educational meetings, we discussed and agreed that a representative of the PSRG should attend. This does not necessarily need to be a Board member, but it should be someone that can host the gathering and answer questions about the PSRG. We agreed that when setting up future events we will try to identify who will be our designated host.

For our upcoming Winter Dinner, last year’s dinner at Ballard Bridge Café went well and we discussed holding it there again. The venue is under new management and is now named The Egg & Us. We will plan for January 7, 2017 with 6pm as a general start time and dinner at 7pm. Barry, K7PAL, agreed to reach out to the restaurant and update Doug and Tyler, AF7BO, on what he finds out.

The Annual Meeting also approaches and we set a tentative date of Sunday, January 29. Given the closeness to the regularly scheduled February Board Meeting, we decided to cancel it and instead conduct any Board-related business after the Annual Meeting if needed. Doug will check if the Seattle Emergency Operations Center is available as a venue for our meeting. We are interested in topics of interest so that we can identify speakers. Don suggested solar energy, Kevin mentioned Internet of Things as related to amateur radio, and Barry asked if the fire chief could come talk about the fire dispatch center.

At the Annual Meeting we need to elect a Vice President as well as Board positions 1 and 3. Those wanting to find out more about these positions should contact a Board member with his or her interest. The Board would like to enter the Annual Meeting with a list of those open to nomination, and at the same time the Board welcomes nominations at the meeting itself even if they haven’t contact the Board in advance. Assuming persons do not need to be present to accept a nomination, the Board would be happy to read a prepared statement; however, the Governing Documents should be consulted to ensure this is permitted.

Doug mentioned we had two recent requests to use the repeater. The first was from Ride Around the Sound, a bicycle race around the greater Puget Sound area. However, in the end they did not need to use the repeater. The second request was from Jamboree On The Air, the scouting activity that happens this time of year, with this year being October 15th, starting shortly after the morning 9 O’clock Net ends and running until about 3pm. We encourage operators to respond to any JOTA calls to help scouts learn more about amateur radio, including Echolink/IRLP, and help them have a fun experience.

Last, Doug mentioned Seattle ACS is researching if and how they could support getting amateur radio repeaters they use set up with solar backup. It is possible PSRG could be included if they do get funding, and Doug will keep us updated if and when further information is available.

The next Educational meeting will be Saturday, November 12 at 1:00pm at the Salmon Bay Café.

The next Board meeting be held on Saturday, December 10 at 1:00pm, also at the Salmon Bay Café.

With no other business before the Board, the meeting was adjourned at 2:01pm.

Submitted by Secretary-Treasurer Aaron Hulett, K8AMH

This entry was posted in Board Meeting Notes. Bookmark the permalink.